North Berwick Golf Club, Tantallon Golf Club and Bass Rock Golf Club form the triumvirate of clubs which play the West Links. Historically, the membership at North Berwick Golf Club (1832) was drawn from the titled gentry. Tantallon Golf Club (1853) was founded by the businessmen and shop keepers, and the Bass Rock was an artisan club for the tradesmen, clerks and teachers.
Each club maintained its membersí handicaps, had a representative on the greens committee and were allocated an alternate Saturday to organize medal competitions. Today the clubs continue to organize separate competitions, but anyone can now be a member of all three clubs playing the West Links. The North Berwick Ladies Golf Club became full members of North Berwick Golf Club in 2005.
The Bass Rock Golf Club was established in 1873 and is limited to 100 members. Originally a club for artisans, the membership was opened to everyone in 1969. The Bass Rock Golf Club continues the artisan tradition of not having a clubhouse, preferring instead to offer members a reduced fee.
With acknowledgements to Douglas Seaton.